Submit Your Rental Application Today!
We appreciate your interest in Carla Properties, Ltd. Our goal is to consistently offer top quality apartment homes to our
Applicants may review the rental screening criteria below.
General Rental Criteria Statement
OREGON RENTAL CRITERIA FOR RESIDENCY (not for city of Portland)OCCUPANCY POLICY
- Occupancy is based on the number of bedrooms in a unit. (A bedroom is defined as a habitable room that is intended to be used primarily for sleeping purposes, contains at least 70 square feet and is configured so as to take the need for a fire exit into account.)
- The general rule is two persons are allowed per bedroom. Owner/ Agent may adopt a more liberal occupancy standard based on factors such as size and configuration of the unit, size and configuration of the bedrooms, and whether any occupants will be infants.
- Current, positive, government-issued photo identification that allows Owner/Agent to adequately screen for criminal and or credit history will be required.
- Each applicant will be required to qualify individually or as per specific criteria areas.
- Inaccurate, incomplete, or falsified information will be grounds for denial of the application.
- Any applicant currently using illegal drugs will be denied. If approved for tenancy and later illegal drug use is confirmed, termination shall result.
- Any individual whose tenancy may constitute a direct threat to the health and safety of any individual, the premises, or the property of others, will be denied tenancy.
- Monthly income should be at least _____ (if blank, 3) times stated rent*, and must be from a verifiable, legal source. If applicant’s monthly income is between two and three times the stated rent, applicant will be required to pay an additional security deposit equal to one month’s rent or provide acceptable co-signers. Income below two times the stated rent will result in denial.
*If applicant will be using local, state or federal housing assistance as a source of income, “stated rent” as used in this section means that portion of the rent that will be payable by applicant and excludes any portion of the rent that will be paid through the assistance program.
- Twelve months of verifiable employment will be required if used as a source of income. Less than 12 months verifiable employment will require an additional security deposit or acceptable co-signer.
- Applicants using self-employment income will have their records verified through the state corporation commission, and will be required to submit records to verify their income, which records may include the previous year’s tax returns.
RENTAL HISTORY CRITERIA
- Twelve months of verifiable contractual rental history from a current unrelated, third party landlord, or home ownership, is required. Less than twelve months verifiable rental history will require an additional security deposit or acceptable co-signer.
- Three or more notices for nonpayment of rent within one year will result in denial of the application.
- Three or more dishonored checks within one year will result in denial of the application.
- Rental history reflecting any past due and unpaid balances to a landlord will result in denial of the application except for unpaid rent, including rent reflected in judgments or referrals of debt to a collection agency, that accrued on or after April 1, 2020, and before March 1, 2022.
- Rental history including three or more noise disturbances or any other material non-compliance with the rental agreement or rules within the past two years will result in denial.
EVICTION HISTORY CRITERIA
Five years of eviction-free history is required except for general eviction judgments entered on claims that arose on or after April 1, 2020, and before March 1, 2022. Eviction actions that were dismissed or resulted in a judgment for the applicant will not be considered.
- Negative or adverse debt showing on consumer credit report will require additional security deposits or acceptable co-signers.
- Ten or more unpaid collections (not related to medical expenses) will result in denial of the application.
RENT WELL GRADUATES
If applicant fails to meet any criteria related to credit, evictions and/or rental history, and applicant has received a certificate indicating satisfactory completion of a tenant training program such as “Rent Well,” Owner/Agent will consider whether the course content, instructor comments and any other information supplied by applicant is sufficient to demonstrate that applicant will successfully live in the complex in compliance with the Rental Agreement. Based on this information, Owner/Agent may waive strict compliance with the credit, eviction and/or rental history screening criteria for this applicant.
FAIR HOUSING LAWS
Landlord has a non-discrimination policy as required by federal, state or local law and does not discriminate against any applicant because of the race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, familial status or source of income of the applicant.
CRIMINAL CONVICTION CRITERIA
Upon receipt of the Rental Application and screening fee, Owner/Agent will conduct a search of public records to determine whether applicant or any proposed resident or occupant has a “Conviction” (which means: charges pending as of the date of the application; a conviction; a guilty plea; or no contest plea), for any of the following crimes as provided in ORS 90.303(3): drug-related crime; person crime; sex offense; crime involving financial fraud, including identity theft and forgery; or any other crime if the conduct for which applicant was convicted or is charged is of a nature that would adversely affect property of the landlord or a tenant or the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises of residents, the landlord or the landlord’s agent. Owner/Agent will not consider a previous arrest that did not result in a Conviction or expunged records.
If applicant, or any proposed occupant, has a Conviction in their past which would disqualify them under these criminal conviction criteria, and desires to submit additional information to Owner/Agent along with the application so Owner/Agent can engage in an individualized assessment (described below) upon receipt of the results of the public records search and prior to a denial, applicant should do so. Otherwise, applicant may request the review process after denial as set forth below, however, see item (c) under “Criminal Conviction Review Process” below regarding holding the unit. A single Conviction for any of the following, subject to the results of any review process, shall be grounds for denial of the Rental Application.
- a) Felonies involving: murder, manslaughter, arson, rape, kidnapping, child sex crimes, or manufacturing or distribution of a controlled substance.
- b) Felonies not listed above involving: drug-related crime; person crime; sex offense; crime involving financial fraud, including identity theft and forgery; or any other crime if the conduct for which applicant was convicted or is charged is of a nature that would adversely affect property of the landlord or a tenant or the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises of the residents, the landlord or the landlord’s agent, where the date of disposition has occurred in the last 7 years.
- c) Misdemeanors involving: drug related crimes, person crimes, sex offenses, domestic violence, violation of a restraining order, stalking, weapons, criminal impersonation, possession of burglary tools, financial fraud crimes, where the date of disposition has occurred in the last 5 years.
- d) Misdemeanors not listed above involving: theft, criminal trespass, criminal mischief, property crimes or any other crime if the conduct for which applicant was convicted or is charged is of a nature that would adversely affect property of the landlord or a tenant or the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises of the residents, the landlord or the landlord’s agent, where the date of disposition has occurred in the last 3 years.
- e) Conviction of any crime that requires lifetime registration as a sex offender, or for which applicant is currently registered as a sex offender, will result in denial.
Criminal Conviction Review Process.
Owner/Agent will engage in an individualized assessment of the applicant’s, or other proposed occupant’s, Convictions if applicant has satisfied all other criteria (the denial was based solely on one or more Convictions) as required by local, state and federal law, and:
(1) Applicant has submitted supporting documentation prior to the public records search; or
(2) Applicant is denied based on failure to satisfy these criminal criteria and has submitted a written request along with supporting documentation.
Supporting documentation may include: i) Letter from parole or probation office; ii) Letter from caseworker, therapist, counselor, etc.; iii) certifications of treatments/rehab programs; iv) Letter from employer, teacher, etc. v) Certification of trainings completed; vi) Proof of employment; and vii) Statement of the applicant.
(a) Consider relevant individualized evidence of mitigating factors, which may include: the facts or circumstances surrounding the criminal conduct; the age of the convicted person at the time of the conduct; time since the criminal conduct; time since release from incarceration or completion of parole; evidence that the individual has maintained a good tenant history before and/or after the conviction or conduct; and evidence of rehabilitation efforts. Owner/Agent may request additional information and may consider whether there have been multiple Convictions as part of this process.
(b) Notify applicant of the results of Owner/Agent’s review within a reasonable time after receipt of all required information.
(c) Hold the unit for which the application was received for a reasonable time under all the circumstances to complete the review unless prior to receipt of applicant’s written request (if made after denial) the unit was committed to another applicant.
General Rental Criteria Statement – Carla Properties, Ltd.
- A complete and accurate Application listing the current, and at least one previous, verifiable rental reference and phone number(s) is required. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant.
- Application Process
Steps required to become a resident with Carla Properties:
- Select your rental apartment.
- Complete the Application using the designated form.
- Pay your non-refundable credit/screening charge of $50.00 per applicant, and if applicable $50.00 per Co-Signer applicant. For Temporary Occupants, and/or Caregivers, there is a $25.00 screening charge per applicant.
- Be prepared to wait at least one business day for the information on your application to be verified.
- Once you have been approved, you will be required to pay the execution deposit within 72 hours of being notified of the approval.
- Once the application is approved, a Rental Agreement or Agreement to Execute a Rental Agreement must be signed by all parties. You also must pay any required deposits at the time you enter into the Rental Agreement or Agreement to Execute. You are encouraged to read the Rental Agreement at the time of application.
- Occupancy Policy
- Two persons are allowed per bedroom, and one additional person is allowed in each apartment.
- Two animals are permitted in each apartment home. Animals must be approved by management prior to residing or visiting an apartment home. Pet sitting is not permitted.
III. Income Requirements
- We will consider all sources of legal and verifiable income, including local, state and federal rental assistance. Verifiable income may include, but is not limited to: current paycheck stub, offer of employment letter, bank accounts, alimony/child support, trust accounts, social security, unemployment benefits, welfare, and grants/loans.
- The application may be conditionally approved with a full security deposit, if the applicant can show 12 months of living resources in a bank account. Living resources are calculated at (12 x 3 x $rent).
- The application will be denied if the source or amount of income cannot be verified.
- Credit Requirements
- Outstanding collections of 4 or more accounts in the past 2 years reported on the credit report, exclusive of medical collections, will result in denial.
- Prior bankruptcy will require a security deposit equal to one month’s rent as a condition of tenancy. Subsequent negative debt after bankruptcy will result in denial.
- Credit reports reflecting slow pay of 3 accounts or more will require a security deposit equal to one month’s rent.
- Co-signer Qualifications
- Verifiable monthly income must equal a minimum of 5 times the applicant’s rent.
- Outstanding bad debt will result in denial of the co-signer, i.e. slow pay, collections, repossessions, liens, judgments and wage garnishment programs.
- Approved co-signers will require a deposit equal to a full month’s rent.
- Denial Process
If your application has been denied and you believe that you qualify as a resident under the criteria set out above, you should do the following:
- Correct any inaccurate information through the credit reporting agency or screening company as per their policy.
- Request the credit reporting agency submit a corrected credit history to the appropriate screening company.
- Upon receipt of the corrected and satisfactory information, your application will be re-evaluated for the next available apartment home. No apartment home will be held during this process.
VII. Disabled Accessibility
Carla Properties, Ltd. allows existing premises to be modified at the full expense of the disabled person. We may require the disabled person to agree to restore the premises to the pre-modified condition (per Fair Housing laws). Prior to modifying the premises, the following must be done:
- The applicant must obtain the landlord’s written approval.
- Reasonable assurance must be received in writing, that the work will be performed in a professional and workman-like manner, as well as details of the work to be completed, and names of qualified contractors to be used.
- Appropriate building permits and required licenses will be reviewed by the landlord.
- Restoration, in certain circumstances where the modification would make the apartment less desirable to future residents, may require a deposit to be placed in an interest bearing account and will be used for necessary restoration costs, not including normal wear and tear and/or non-required restorations.
VIII. Assisted Living
Applicants requiring the assistance of a permanent or temporary live-in caregiver will be required to have the caregiver also fill out an application and pay a screening fee of $25.00, per person. A limited screening involving a credit report (for identification purposes) and a criminal background check will be performed. Caregiver must meet apartment community requirements regarding criminal history and rental history relating to conduct, or their application will be denied. Caregivers will be required to execute a Temporary Occupancy Agreement.
- Non-discrimination Policy
Carla Properties, Ltd. complies with all federal, state, and local Fair Housing laws. We do not discriminate in any aspect in the rental or management of our apartment communities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, familial status, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation including gender identity, source of income, domestic violence survivors or status as a member of any group protected by federal, state or local law.
If your application has been denied and you believe that you qualify as a resident under the criteria set out above, you should do the following: Write to our Equal Opportunity Housing Manager · 633 NW 19th Avenue · Portland, Oregon 97209.
In the letter explain the reasons you believe your application should be approved and request a review of your file. Within seven working days of receipt of your letter your application file will be reviewed, and you will be notified of the outcome.
Resident Managers do not have the authority to override the recommendations of the screening company or make any changes to the Rental Criteria.
CP001 xx Copyright © 2021 Carla Properties, Ltd. Revised 12/31/2021.